This is hard to explain without being embarrassed, but at the urging of my Finance Committee, I have decided to raise the fundraising bar higher. We did not expect to raise this much money so early on in our efforts, and we are humbled and grateful for the outpouring of support.
I know that for those of you who have already donated, or are completists, it might seem frustrating to move the goalpost higher, but in this case, it’s a good thing.
For one thing, there are many people who have reached out who have not been able to donate yet, but still plan to do so. While we could simply keep donations open and allow them to go over the goal, we worry it might discourage people from giving if they feel all of the costs have been met. For another, we wanted a goal that would be achievable over the course of the next several months, with donations coming in slowly over time – we would like that to still be possible. Lastly, we are still planning a large fundraising event (or possibly series of events) to bring in a large chunk of money towards the end..
Here is what the new goal would fund:
– The costs of a longer (9 or 12 month) trial, especially given the expected poor performance of the Canadian dollar over this time period.
– The costs of travel and accommodations should I need to enter a trial overseas, as well as associated costs – flights, visas, hotels, permanent or semi-permanent lodging.
– Unexpected/emergency medical costs in the US/Abroad as my trip will not covered by OHIP.
– My rent at home while/if I’m away so that I don’t have to sublet my room and can return to Toronto whenever I’m able to.
– The opportunity cost of 6-12+ months away from a steady income, should that be required.
– The care and feeding of my pets while I’m away, including any routine or emergency veterinary care.
– The cost of cell phone, long distance and Internet access to stay in touch with loved ones while I’m out of the country.
– Costs that I was planning to cover myself beyond the initial fund goal, such as meals, transit, taxis, my regular medical needs (prescriptions and medical supplies).
– I would be able to afford travel home for visits during any off periods of the trial.
– I would be able to afford to have a loved one visit me overseas to provide support and care should I be required to leave Toronto for an extended period of time.
– I would be able to take a small vacation to rest and recuperate after what has been a very difficult 4+ years of treatment and setbacks.
Thank you again so much for your donations and please share this page widely. I am touched, blessed, etc.